Monday, September 28, 2015
Thursday, September 24, 2015
The painting I've posted is a large version of a small one I did before. It is almost as tall as I am (which is shrinking to less than 5 feet).I had fun with it thanks to encouragement from my old friend Elizabeth. We talk every few weeks and she always inspires me to be more experimental, the way I used to be when we were both in school.....as adults in the 80's and 90's. She suggested that I make the brush strokes tell the story of the image. It's hard to see in the photo, but I splashed paint all over this, let it run, painted on it upside down and sideways. Certainly it doesn't look as experimental as it ought to, considering how much I played with it. I like it, though, and certainly had a good time doing it
Afterwards, I tried doing the same type of image in watercolor. I'm quite happy with this one, too, mostly just because I was able to get some interesting watercolor effects without making everything muddy.
The dancers look happy. Next time I think I'll forget the yellow stripes. I meant them to stabilize the chaos of the other brush marks, but they really don't work. One thing about watercolor, though. You pretty much have to live with your mistakes.