Wednesday, February 12, 2014
Today's effort in my pursuit of watercolor excellence.......I did this from an old painting of my backyard. It's not a good subject for trying to loosen up, but I did accomplish a couple of things. I maintained transparency for the most part. And I managed not to overwork a good part of it.The picture looks better than the painting in that respect, but I am pleased. Even though I didn't do this from life, the original painting I worked from was done that way. So I got the perspective one gets from standing in front of something. Cameras put the viewer at a distance........I used to tell my students that it was a "helicopter" view. They still had to learn to look down at their feet in composing a painting...........at least composing the way I was trying to teach them. It was so natural for them to look out across the landscape, ignoring what was directly in front of them. I used to tell them to look down at their feet for a good foreground and then up at the sky to make sure it isn't shaped like a rectangle. Then find something in between to paint. There were many things I liked about teaching, and tearing down everything the students thought made a good painting was one of them. It was fun to be shocking. Once they were used to everything I had to say and developed minds of their own I needed new blood. They didn't need me anymore.