Wednesday, June 20, 2018

I'm still here........

So, it's been awhile and I won't make any excuses or apologies.  It's Spring and I am feeling my usual rush of happiness and appreciation at being here.  I couldn't help but take this photo, though........the view from my seat at the dining room window.  The return of the snow birds is a significant change in the personality of Eastport.  My neighbors Steve  and Deb arrived yesterday, wearing T-shirts and shorts, bringing with them a veritable stable of vehicles.  Their "camper" is almost as big as my house and has every amenity imaginable.  I was privy to a tour, and couldn't help but ooh and ahhh over the luxury of it.  It has been a vague dream of mine to own one of these things and travel all over the country (and beyond) in it. They had the boat delivered prior to their arrival.  Their two cars somehow appeared shortly after their arrival.They have a plane, as well, which waits at the little airport here.

When the kids were young, we went on a camping trip around the country, but our vehicle was a small Honda and we used one of those bubble tops on the roof to carry our belongings.  Phil did the driving and I sat in the passenger seat with my AAA travel guide in my lap. I have chronicled the trip elsewhere, but I can sum it up as probably the best time of my life. (Well, maybe not........I have so many best times of my life....)

Anyway, the summer people are arriving in droves.  I watch local maintenance people coming and going in all the summer places around me, turning things on, sprucing things up.  I am in the middle of it all, like a stationary sun around which planets revolve.  I used to enjoy the celebration of summer and its endless hoopla, then I hated it, now I observe it without much judgment.  It is just the way things are.

My new neighbor, Jim, has opened an art gallery down the street.

2 comments:

P. J. Grath said...

Hi, Cheri! Happy spring to you, from Northport to Eastport! It's good to see you again.

Cheri Walton said...

I'm glad you haven't forgotten me.....I so look forward to hearing from you.