Friday, November 16, 2018

First Snow, good-bye David.

It isn't a huge snow, but unusually early.  Here in New England we are getting the flip side of global warming.  I'm not going to talk about that because there's nothing to say.  Like so many other species, we have used up our environment.  Like so many other very successful species, we are doomed to extinction.  Well, that's nature.  I'm glad I got to experience life as a human being.  I'm also glad I have no grandchildren.

David is dead.  It's been a couple of weeks now.  He has been sick for a long time with cancer getting worse and worse.  By the time he died he was not the man I knew when I met him so long ago.  He wasn't the guy who was my best and closest friend for so many years.  I have only to read my old blog entries to remember the huge part he played in my life.  We were inseparable.  I had so many experiences I never would have had, because of him.  My life in Eastport was, for years, my life with him. As so often happens with those kinds of relationships, everything changed when he met Thom.  I expected our friendship to change dramatically, and it did.  Nevertheless, I have still been part of David's life peripherally.  Thom has tried his best to find a place for me in their life with some success.  I admire him for that and am grateful.  I will miss David, but no more than I have missed him for the past many years.

Bye, David.  I loved you.

1 comment:

P. J. Grath said...

Such a loss -- beforehand and, now, again. So sorry! No one replaces anyone.