Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Yupo Paper


In my continued pursuit of watercolor proficiency, I tried some Yupo paper that Diana had given me. Once again, this is from a picture of an old painting of mine done in acrylic. I was looking out the third floor window of Sydney's house.

The paper was really unlike anything I have ever used. It has a slick surface that doesn't absorb anything. The paint slides and runs all over the place. It will wipe cleanly off the paper with either a brush or a paper towel. Because of that, going over what you have already done is impossible, since touching it lifts the first layer up off the paper. I played with this for two days and find the result interesting. It's hard to see in the picture, but it is reminiscent of finger paint. Every drip (and they are everywhere) is evident. No mark is undocumented. Therefore the finished work is very painterly.

I can't imagine trying to do anything precise with this paper, though I suppose with small brushes and a very controlled hand it would be poosible. This is a fairly good sized painting. As enamoured of experimentation as I am, I had a good time doing it.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

P&K said...

Was just surfing around and found your blog. Like your work very much! My husband and I would like to meet you. He is a retired professor/wood sculptor and I am a retired English teacher. We moved to Eastport full-time last year. Please email us at pkwoog@gmail.com. Thanks, Pierre and Kendall Woog

Lili said...

I enlarged the picture to see it more closely...this IS an interesting look. Glad you had fun with it. I really admire your work and your ability to have fun and enjoy experimentation, as that probably plays into why you're such an amazing accomplished artist.