Thursday, January 13, 2011

Evolution

I've spent many days working on this. It's certainly derivative of what I used to do in school, but not exactly the same. My approach was the same, though. I put down whatever came into my head without thinking about why, obscuring each layer as I moved on. Usually by the time I am finished, I am able to find some theme, and this is no exception. The process is very absorbing, very interesting, to unlock pieces of information in the unconscious mind and let them float into consciousness without evaluating them. As I worked toward the visual part of the painting, I simply focused on the image I had made. This is another wholly absorbing activity. I spent days just working on the intricacies of the shells, thinking of nothing but their details. You would think I would have memorized them after staring at them for so many hours, but I know I haven't. If I should decide to go back and paint them again, I would see them in even more detail, and what was minuscule would be obvious. There would be more intricacies......
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

judith said...

It appears that we all seem to be moving into newer territories...