Saturday, October 22, 2005

My supper

This is so pretty I had to photograph it. I got the recipe outof my new vegetarian cookbook. It's layers of risotto, charred sweet red peppers, spinach,and feta cheese wrapped in fillo dough, sprinkled with sesame seeds, and baked in a spring form pan. I won't say it wasn't time consuming, and I can't say it was really delicious, either. It's so good-looking, though, and that should count for something. It is worth experimenting with --something needs to be done with the spinach, like sauteeing it with garlic, egg yolk and a little cream like my spinach quiche recipe. More, or different, cheese would improve the risotto. The two ounces of parmesan didn't do much to it, and the one clove of garlic disappeared into the rather bland melange. Feta cheese doesn't do well in cooked dishes either, if you ask me. It's wonderful in salad, or as a garnish for cooked dishes, but it dies in a casserole. Something more Italian, maybe, like mozerella, or even Swiss. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to add some bacon, but that wouldn't do in a vegetarian cookbook, would it? The touch that makes it all worthwhile, despite everything, is the fillo. Anything is good with fillo wrapped around it. Posted by Picasa

No comments: