Friday, March 24, 2006

Annie

I went out to the chicken house with water this afternoon. Demeter and Hannah clucked out the door when I opened it, but Annie did not appear. With all too familiar dread I opened the top of the roosting house and saw her lying there. Her head was tucked under her wing as if she were sleeping, but when I nudged her, she was hard and unmoving. Evidently she had died a natural death. There was no sign of injury or struggle. An egg was beside her.

I went back to the house and got two plastic garbage bags, trying to seem nonchalant to the children next door who were playing in the yard. I thought I was taking the event in some kind of stride after the experiences I have had with mangled chickens, but as I lifted her up and felt her soft, beautiful golden feathers I burst into tears.

Just a chicken........

1 comment:

GraniFrani said...

Emma, I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Annie. We certainly do put ourselves at risk when we love our little friends so much. I always tell myself .. no more ... when I lose one of mine but inevitably there's another one or two waiting to take their place. I believe your premonition on Thursday must have been correct. I'm sure Annie will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.