Friday, July 04, 2008

Independence Day


I chose not to participate in the 4th of July activities this year. Somehow all that blind patriotism seems innapropriate in my case. I can just see the crew of the Navy ship that is sitting at the breakwater as they march in the parade wearing their blindingly white uniforms. The crowd will turn itself inside out cheering and clapping. I am singularly not in favor of supporting the troups. They are proud, and to me they ought to be ashamed. It is certainly an unpopular view and I don't dare say it in company, but most of the men fighting our war support it. Or they are made idiots by unquestioning loyalty to a country that doesn't deserve it. Or they joined the military for selfish reasons that had nothing to do with patriotism.

Well, I am not interested in trying to change the opinions of other people in this case. Besides, speaking against the government is becoming more and more dangerous. Imagine it.......the land of the free.

Anyway, I celebrated the day by putting the three older chickens out into their house. The move itself was traumatic. I had to put them in a cardboard box and carry them from the upstairs room that is the only home they have ever known. Once they were there, though, they felt at home almost at once and began exploring their expanded space.

Believe it or not, I actually cried when I left them there.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am in total agreement...we fly a Peace flag..know it drives the neighbors nuts!

Darlene said...

I totally agree. I think they recruit young, vulnerable kids into the military so they can drive the message hard and deep into their fearful brains and souls that this is the only way to secure freedom and that the bigger the bully they become the longer they will live and the better men they will become. I think that's a bunch of BS! I could go on, but I won't! I did go to the parade in Round Pond, which is very political - anything goes - and I don't think a single float that went by had anything good to say about our current administration.

Anyway, I'm going to get chickens next spring. How long do you keep the babies in until you can put them out in the coop?