Saturday, March 14, 2009

Big Bird

Just when I thought I had all the possibilities of chicken escape covered, this is what I see from my window as I sit drinking my morning coffee. Apparently if you like birdseed enough, you will ferret it out. The wind had blown a lot of seed from the feeder that hangs over the chicken house onto the roof. Somehow Lily decided that if other birds could fly up there, so could she.

I watched her departure as she flapped her way to the ground after the feast, and fortunately she chose to land inside the pen. If she had moved to the left a little, she might have realized that freedom was at hand and jumped into the driveway instead.

Well, now I have another escape route to worry about. I spend a lot of time coping with runaway animals.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Cheri Walton said...

The girls do have different personalities.....some having to do with breed, maybe, since the Barred Rocks are all more self-assured than the Rhode Island Reds. I tend to think that's birth order, though. I was much more protective and nervous about the first ones (Lily, Loupine, and Lilac) than I was when I got Poppy, Pansy, and Petunia. :-)