Monday, March 17, 2008

Day at the Opera and Lytton's Nap





Yesterday afternoon Thom, David, and I went to the Art Center to hear some songs written by Beethoven sung by a new Eastport resident, a mezzo-soprano. She has had an impressive world-wide career. It never ceases to be a suprise to have such events here in little Eastport, despite the fact that they happen regularly. Greg Biss, our resident pianist and composer, also with an impressive background, accompanied the singer. After they had performed the songs, they talked about the history of the music. They handed out copies of the German text and discussed the music as they went through it again. The audience was encouraged to ask questions, and they responded enthusiastically. Greg explained how the piano and the voice related to one another. I was enthralled by the new information I was hearing. I know that as far as music is concerned I am of the "I don't know art but I know what I like" crowd. As is always the case when ignorance becomes understanding, even in the most miniscule example, I felt as if a something entirely new was opening up to me. It may be the only such experience I have with music, though I hope not. Even if it is, though, my appreciation is just a little bit enhanced and I know that if I chose to, I could enter a world I now know almost nothing about. What an exciting thought, and how relative to my earlier comments about there always being so much more to do, so much more to learn.
After the concert the three of us had coffee and cheesecake and took pictures of each other.
As I sat watching the last episode of "Six Feet Under" last night I noticed Lytton sleeping in the chair beside me. He had covered himself up so perfectly I snuck out of the room to get my camera. Since he can't hear much anymore, I was able to do it without disturbing him. His hair is growing out after being shorn at the vet's and looks like my adorable boy again.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Rabea said...

Hey Cheri,

I like your watercolors.. I have been in Lebanon and just got back. I feel I need to start painting a lot again. I like your colors and looseness.

Cheri Walton said...

Hi,

It's good to have you back. I read on your blog that you were having trouble getting out of Lebanon and was a little worried...........I'm trying hard to get my watercolor skills back. I think I'm slowly getting there, but it's hard.