Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Today's Effort


This is part of my recent work.  I plan to cut it to this size because I messed up the rest of of it.  I'm trying to learn how to use the bigger point and keep cutting gouges into the wood.  I need to remember that I am burning the wood, not engraving it.  Still, I like the image, so will get out my trusty jig saw and get rid of the right two thirds of it.

Amazingly, I seem to have a cold.  One wouldn't think that worthy of mention, but the last time I remember having one was in 1997.  And even that one was after many many years of absence.  It's not a bad cold, but I am quite interested in it just the same.  I observe symptoms I had forgotten existed and experience them with amazement.  Each cough is noted and evaluated, measured against nothing since I have nothing with which to compare it.  Each sneeze fascinates me, each sniffle , each nose-blowing.  My throat is sore, another unfamiliar occurrence.  So far it is all so fascinating that I haven't had time to consider if I "feel" bad.  What does that mean, exactly?  I feel different, but can not judge it as good, bad, or simply unusual. 

Once I had pneumonia, in 1978 I think.  This cold is a little like that without the machines and shots and pills, the nurses and the respiratory therapists.  I was in the hospital then, which certainly made the experience more notable.  I existed outside of the regular world.  People brought me my food, visitors came.  I watched TV and read.  All that was required of me was to go to the bathroom myself, though I could have had help with that, too, if I had wanted it.  I rode in a wheelchair whenever by presence was required elsewhere in the hospital, usually the X-ray department.  My doctor visited me twice a day , appearing to have nothing on her mind but my well-being.  I was tired then, too, but it was completely acceptable that I sleep during the day.

No resort could have been more enjoyable.

No comments: