Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Rehearsal

Went to the first rehearsal for "Noye's Fludde," the opera the Arts Center is peforming at the beginning of September. Since I missed the first one, I felt a little out of place. I arrived alone, my recorder tucked under my arm and my untouched music in hand. I have been too busy to think about practising, so I was essentially sight reading tonight. I had to leave out the high notes in a few places, too, hoping that no one would notice. Greg Biss conducted us as if we were professional musicians, despite the horrific sounds we made. Of course the music is supposed to sound like thunder and lightning, etc., so is not melodic, yet I can't imagine it is supposed to sound as discordant as it did. There are six recorder players, but we will be buried amidst a larger orchestra and a chorus. I feel comfortable that my performance will neither hurt nor help the overall scheme of things.

This will be taking place during my move, so my attention is certainly going to be divided. Now that everything is settled about the renting of the place, I really must give some attention to packing my things. It seems that I really will be leaving here September 1st, and I had better start to get ready to go.

No comments: