Thursday, November 16, 2006

Joanne, Linus, and Pearl

This is the nearly completed portrait of Joanne and her dogs that I have been working on for the past several weeks. Joanne has made two stained glass panels for my front windows in exchange for the painting. I enjoyed doing it, and I will love having the windows, but every time I barter with someone when it is their idea I usually wish I hadn't. Under those circumstances, it is the other person who wants something from me, rather than vice versa. Yet refusing what they offer in return seems like a slap in the face. Therefore I feel compelled to do what they want, even if I am not crazy about what I will get in return. I much prefer working for money unless the circumstances are ideal.

Anyway, I'm pleased with the portrait and it is what I wanted it to be. Joanne wanted to "memorialize the beautiful young woman' she was, but I convinced her to let me paint her as she is now. I love the way older women look. I told her she would be beautiful anyway, and I think she is. I just hope she agrees. If nothing else, she should love the dogs, whose likeness I captured perfectly, I think. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful - she should be pleased.