Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Chickens Four Days Later

Here are the baby chicks at seven days old. They all seem to be doing very well, including the smallest one. There lives are pretty happy and serene upstairs in the guest room until I show up. I cast a monstrous shadow over their world, make noise, and mess with their stuff. It scares them and they begin to run around and chirp in panic. Once I have cleaned the place and replaced the food and water they settle down. As long as I just watch them, they are OK. I moved them from the studio because I couldn't get the light adjusted right in there. It was too hot. Also decided shavings were better bedding than paper towels.

After some consideration I decided to give them their names. They are, from bottom left, Lilac, Lupine, and Lily. I don't know how long I will be able to tell them apart, but right now they each have some distinguishable characteristics I can isolate. With our untrained eye, we humans can't differentiate most animals of the same species very well. I'm sure they have no trouble.

I'm anxious to add the other three chickens to the household, though I imagine I'll always have a special place in my heart for these three.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: