Friday, December 09, 2005

The Last Few Days

It's been snowing all day and there' quite a bit of accumulation. This may be the beginning of real winter, when bare ground becomes a memory and slippery roads the norm. I had the studded tires put on my car Monday, so I'm ready. Just before I took this picture, I ran the car in and out of the driveway several times to knock down the snow the plow had piled at the end of the driveway. I'm hoping to avoid having to have it plowed, but at the rate the snow is falling, that seems unlikely.

I spent most of the day making a reindeer out of the foam that Linda uses for her puppets. It's modelled after the paper mache reindeer I borrowed from Alice. It was a very easy job until I tried to make the antlers. I made many mistakes before I figured out a way to do it without breaking them. As with all things, it was harder than I thought it would be. The thing is cute, but one has to wonder why I did it.

We had our Christmas party at Art Group on Wednesday, which meant not much more than there was a bigger variety of food than usual after we worked. Judy made some wonderful scones........everyone brought something delicious. I had a good time for awhile, talking about my reading of "The Presence of the Past." The conversation disintegrated into talk of sex as time went by, however, as it often does when women get together without men. The laughter and giggling was irriting to my sensibilities, but not wanting to appear to be the prude that I really am, I added my own cynical comments. It was the female of the species at its worst. It was actually refreshing to go to the Arts Center board meeting afterwards, where people had serious things to talk about and humor was more refined. (Yes, I am a superior snot and a kill-joy.)

Diana visited Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, as she had come to Eastport for the gallery meeting. Our conversation was much better suited to my tastes, and I enjoyed her being here. It's interesting that she has become my oldest friend besides Thelma, having known me as a married woman with young children as well as the person I am today. Having survived the transition, she feels like a constant in my life. I am loyal to her, and she to me. There is comfort. Posted by Picasa