Friday, August 14, 2009

Isolation

I've tried to let Petunia go out and mingle with her sisters as she feels better. Unfortunately, they lack sympathy for the sick and injured. They surrounded her, striking out to peck her wounds as the opportunity arose. This has gone on for a few days, and I wasn't able to leave her with them unattended. I decided to make an isolation chamber for her and divided the pen in two. It's a flimsy barrier, but hopefully effective. The five other girls were very indignant and clucked along the new fence, poking at it and digging in front of it. Petunia was in heaven, kicking the dirt and making herself a nice hole to lie in. I hope this arrangement won't have to continue for long, but I felt that she really needed to get out into the fresh air. We'll see how it goes.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cheri, there is a spray you could put on Petunia's wound that would keep her sisters from pecking at it. Chickens are programmed to peck at all things red, so this spray makes the wound look blue, I believe. It might be worth a try. I'm glad she's on the mend.

Lindy

Cheri Walton said...

Thanks for the suggestion.....I'll get some