Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Approach to Christmas




Last night we decorated the Christmas Tree at David and Thom's. It was a very nice time and everything looks beautiful. I have not been there for the decorating before, and it was a big addition to my holiday. It was fun to be part of the preparations. Dylan thought so, too. He was very interested in the whole proceedings, watching obediently from the couch. He was quite obviously restraining himself a lot of the time with great difficulty, but he managed quite well. He's growing up. My poor boys were home by themselves without a decoration in sight. I will make them some special treats tomorrow, though, as a nod toward celebration for them. Truthfully, I don't think they will notice one way or the other.

I have been quite mindful of the religious aspect of Christmas this year and spent some time arranging the figures in the Nativity set. My therapist said it was an effort to make things "right," with the baby at the center of attention. Then she told me a story about her own son when he was a little boy. He had been told not to touch the nativity set, but he was very enthralled with it. He looked at it from a respectful distance for several days. Then he apparently couldn't stand it anymore. When his mother wasn't looking, he placed all of his toy Fisher-Price people in a semi-circle around the perimeter of the scene, at a respectful distance, without touching the figurines. She discovered them there later. The picture that conjures up in my head is absolutely delightful. It makes me smile just to imagine it.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Bits Of Me said...

We love the photos. Great job, Cheri. The Nativity seems to be floating in the air.

Anonymous said...

lovely photos, and the fisher-price nativity story is lovely!