Monday, February 14, 2011

Three Paintings




These are all small works done on Yupo paper with water soluble oils.I guess that after putting so much "concept" into my last paintings, I wanted to relax and do some straight images. Every time I mix the paint, I get a different color, which gives them all a different look, but I love using values alone. Somehow color trivializes these little pictures.......or monochrome makes them seem more than they are. I'm not sure which it is, but the way light creates form is always the most interesting part of a painting for me, and color distracts from that. The technique is intriguing, too. Covering the paper entirely with a flat dark value and then picking out the light is fascinating. My brush is a Q-tip that simply wipes away the dark to reveal the subject.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

research papers said...

Thanks for this post! i really enjoyed reading it!!!