Monday, March 26, 2012

Some more paintings and chicken pen failure


Picasa has changed and I can't upload photos the way I am used to doing.  It has taken me an hour to figure out the new method, and I'll have to do more studying to find out how to size the pictures.  So there you go.

Anyway, I worked more on the painting of my living room, and then did the bottom picture from a painting one of my students did years ago at a workshop.  I've always like the composition.  My latest challenge is to work on color.  I have always been so fond of value that color was almost unimportant.  I had to find something new to do with my painting, so that is what I chose.  I've studied pictures of work in art magazines that showcase color and dove in.  It doesn't come naturally to me, and I am still working with my usual six tubes of primary colors.  That takes some creative mixing to obtain anything but conventional landscape colors, but I'm trying.  I know it's possible.  Primaries can make any color there is.

For a couple of days we had weather like mid-summer.  The temperature was in the 80's.  No sooner did I get out my sandals and short sleeved tops when snow began to fall again.  Now we are back to winter.  I spent most of the time working on the chicken pen in an attempt to curb Penny's wanderlust.  Just as I was finishing up my revamping of the pen, Penny flew over my head to freedom.  People have suggested I trim her wings, but somehow I just can't do it.  I can only hope that my reluctance doesn't cost her her life.

3 comments:

Post Cards From Escazu said...

I have enjoyed reading your blog. I have been looking online at homes in Eastport that are for sale. I have found a few I like, but I don't know anything about the area. I have never been to Maine. I actually live in Costa Rica right now. My husband and I moved from San Diego almost 2 years ago. He works from home and I blog when I think to do it.

I looked back all the way to the beginning of your blog. I enjoyed the snap shot of your home re-model, the local flair, and stories about your animals.

I feel like I know a little more about the area, but I still have questions. The homes are old. Is it possible to really get them warm in the bitterly cold winters? Do you ever get trapped on the island? Can you see the stars at night? Are the people nice? Are the people relatively healthy? Is it a safe place to be? Is it windy? Does it flood there? Sorry for the 20 questions. I am just curious. :)

karenwihbey said...

Cheri, Your colors have always been amazing, even though you thought you hid them in the values! I posted the gelatin plate recipe on my blog but could send it to you if you leave your email. Trying to get motivated again and your paintings are always just the ticket.

Cheri Walton said...

Well, postcards, Eastport is a very small town, about 15,000. Unless you like the arts, there is little entertainment, but there is a very active art community. Yes, you can see the stars, and yes the people here are as healthy as anywhere. There is a causeway to the mainland and we never get trapped. Also, there are no floods because the coastline here is very steep. We have 18 foot tides.

In order to shop, you have to go to Calais or Machias, which take 45 minutes and 1 hour respectively. Even those two towns are small. We do have a grocery store. In the summer there are tourists here, although it is not a particularly large draw for tourists. It is too far from anything and so lacking in amenities.

Many people who live here have come from somewhere else. They come to visit and fall in love with the place. As we all say, you either love it or hate it. It's like a step back in time, peaceful and beautiful. We can still leave our doors unlocked and the keys in our cars. The people are very nice, and the houses are warm in winter provided you can afford the oil to keep them that way.

Hope this answers your questions. Come to visit!