Wednesday, July 25, 2012

My Latest Project

It came to me the other day that I would like to try making dolls, so I ordered a book on beginning doll making.  It turned out not to be what I wanted because I thought of ceramic dolls.  This was about making cloth dolls, so, always flexible, I decided to give it a try.  This is my first attempt.  I haven't made the body yet, but I found this pretty interesting.  The book has instructions on sculpting faces, hands and feet.  I'm seeing a lot of potential here as I get better with the technique.  This face stayed pretty flat, despite my efforts.  I need practice.  Painting the face was fun, using watercolor pencils. I made the hair out of yarn left over from something else I must have knit...I don't remember.

My mother used to make dolls out of clay that baked in the oven.  They were the size of Barbie dolls and she sewed beautiful period clothes for them, including the underwear.  For that reason I was never interested in doing it myself..........fear of being like her.  I must have gotten over that.....

1 comment:

Jan said...

These photos are amazing! I watched them all day long and I am bewitched by their beauty. Waiting for new photos of your authorship!