Thursday, September 26, 2013

Sociable Willy and Food


 This has been the month of company and Willy has been a happy dog.  After Carrie left, Josie arrived for a week-long visit.  I haven't seen her in a few years and we had a very nice time.  I have spent more time cooking in the last few weeks than in the last year or more.  Quiche, Lasagna, Smothered Beef, Spaghetti, Lemon Meringue pie, Chocolate Cake Roll, Brownies............they all rolled off the one-woman assembly line.  I must say without modesty that everything was delicious.

I have thought many times since I lost sixty pounds that I had lost my taste and energy for cooking.  And I have. For one thing, the work that goes into planning, shopping, and preparing meals is too much trouble for just one person who doesn't appreciate the effort.  You spend two hours making a meal, eat it in ten minutes, and clean up for 45 minutes or more.  I rarely like what I cook anymore, either, so the simpler the better.  I eat the same thing every day unless I go to somebody else's house for dinner.  For breakfast-lunch I have a bowl of cereal with fruit.  For dinner I make a big salad (something I always disliked)with ice cream or some other ready to eat treat for desert.  The salad will probably be replaced by soup as it gets colder.

This is all not to say that I don't snack.  I have been known to devour a whole box of crackers while I play games on the computer, or eat an entire big bag of potato chips on the way home from Machias.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: