Saturday, August 02, 2014

Where's the Water?

I have lived in Eastport for 12 years (more counting my three abortive attempts), and have never seen the tide so low.  As I walked down the hill with the dogs this morning it looked as if someone had changed the world during the night.  For perspective, the pole sticking up from Clark's Ledge is underwater at high tide, to warn ships and smaller boats. I have seen the ferry so close to the cliff that I could almost step onto its deck, but this morning it was barely visible, far out in the fog that shrouds Campobello Island. The ridges on the beach show how the tide progresses as it inches its way toward the cliff.

I have said it many times, and I have to say it again, nature is a constant surprise on this little island.  If I walked my daily walk, less than a city block, for a hundred years I would never see the same thing twice.


No comments: