Tuesday, November 07, 2017

Chicken Stew

In another probably futile attempt to save money, I have been cooking my meals instead of buying ready-made frozen packages. I once spent half my time cooking......I was fat and very interested in eating. Now I find it quite distasteful, time consuming, and unrewarding. I have a lot of cookbooks, though, and am trying to work up some interest in new cuisine. So far the best thing I have made was an apple pie, which was delicious and I ate it in two sittings. In a concerted effort to make this venture more successful and less fattening I peruse my collection of recipes. This is what I came up with yesterday. It's a bizarre stew made from chicken, ham (which I omitted), green pepper, onions, sweet potatoes, tomato sauce, pineapple and pineapple juice, apples, and bananas. It's seasoned with chili powder and cinnamon. Go figure...........It was edible, luckily, since I will have it for four or five days, but hardly worth the effort. All that slicing and chopping and browning and boiling, all those dishes and cans, mixing and sauteing, all that garbage in the trash, all the leftover apples (not another pie) to deal with, not to mention that my refined palette would have preferred frozen Chinese heated in its own container for six minutes in the microwave.

2 comments:

P. J. Grath said...

Here's where we part company, I guess, because I just love meal prep jobs with non-electric tools -- a vegetable peeler, a knife or two, a cheese grater, stuff like that. I also love getting several days' meals out of a chicken, and your recipe has my mouth watering. Really, pineapples and bananas??? Also, the trouble with popping a frozen dinner in the microwave (which I did here at the bookstore for lunch today) is the immediate gratification. Yes, I count that as a problem. For me, anticipation is a spice to be liberally used in the kitchen. But thank you for the picture and the list of ingredients.

Cheri Walton said...

I put this stuff on rice the third day and it was very much improved..