Monday, October 31, 2005

Skunk Dog


This is a stinking dog. He became so enthralled with a skunk last night that he would not leave the thing alone. I had to physically remove him from the vacinity of his little playmate. That meant that I, too, got an up close and personal look at the poor little skunk, who was trapped under the steps by a frantically barking puppy. I shined my flashlight in his eyes and stomped on the steps trying to scare him away, but Patrick blocked his only escape route. I didn't dare get too rambunctious, not knowing if skunks can spray again once they have done it. Patrick was refusing to be caught and I chased him around the yard for about five minutes before finally grabbing him and carrying his malodorous self into the house. The other two dogs somehow avoided a confrontation and headed for the back door as soon as the situation became clear to them.

Patrick had never experienced the baking soda-peroxide-detergent treatment. By the time I was done with him, the kitchen was soaked, I was soaked, and he was soaked. He was then subjected to a thorough towelling and then the hair dryer. Finally we all crawled into bed at midnight. I was hot and sweaty from all the exertion, but finally drifted off to sleep with three hot bodies against me, one still damp, and a mild perfume of skunk wafting through the air.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheri - I enjoy reading your blog. Please send me an email or note and I'll answer it.

counsin B