Friday, February 13, 2009

New Painting


I've tried to edit this picture so it looks more like the the real thing, but for some reason I can't quite get it. This is pretty close, but slightly too red. In any case, this is my favorite painting du jour. It's one of those that I could sit and stare at for hours, one of those that I have to stop and peek at every time I walk past the studio. It's from a photo I took a few weeks ago at Ann's. The sun was just beginning to head for the horizon......not quite sunset but flooding the space between the long shadows with golden light.

I so enjoy trying to paint light. It's a translation that is so far from literal that getting the point across is quite a challenge. All a painting can do is be itself, which is not sun, or snow, or trees. Yet we make associations from it, which adds to the enjoyment of looking at it. It is the frosting on the cake, I suppose....that image that sits on that rectangle, on top of all that paint, all those marks, all those shapes. It can steal the show. Looking at a painting's subject matter is like licking the frosting off the cake.

Well, sometimes that's the best part.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

karenwihbey said...

Cheri, The painting's a gem. I too can't keep my eyes off of it. They wander and find the essence of your style in every corner.
Karen