Sunday, May 29, 2022

New Life, lost life

 I feel as if I have started all over again, so different is my life from anything it has been before.  The biggest change, of course, is my environment.  I live in a beautiful apartment that seems so unlike anywhere I have lived before.  I am surrounded by people I don't know,  Many of whom are handicapped in various ways.  The other tenants, like me, are simply poor.  I ride an elevator to get to the ground floor and have learned the code that opens the door to the outside.  I go to the bank to get quarters to use in the laundry room, which is modern and clean.  A lot of the residents here are elderly and sick.  It's beginning to seem like a place where people go to die ................

Somehow I didn't finish my post, which got lost because I couldn't find my camera and I wanted to post pictures.  Well time has gone by and still I haven't found my camera.  I may have forgotten how to post pictures.  I hate to acknowledge that my brain suffered some cruel changes after the small stroke I had.  Still, I go on pretty much as always, trying to adapt.  Life here is easy, so my diminished brainpower hasn't cause me too much trouble.  Forgetfulness makes life stay pretty much in the present.  Slowly I make progress in putting things in context, though.  I doubt if anybody notices much difference.

The big news is that my brother had a heart attack and died yesterday.  When he didn't make his usual Sunday telephone call yesterday, I knew something was wrong.  He didn't answer the phone when I tried to call many times.  Finally I called the police and asked them to check on him.  They found him dead, sitting in front of the TV.  

There are so many consequences, emotional and practical, of the death of a person who has always been there and then is not.  I'm not going to try to describe them, and I 'm sure they are familiar to us all.  Mike lived in Florida.......he had a lot of money, compared to me,  He had a beautiful Florida house with a large pool, he had every material thing a person could want, all of which will have to be dealt with, presumably by me.  I have no idea how I will do this.  

Right now I have no more to say.


1 comment:

P. J. Grath said...

Please accept my condolences for the loss of your brother. I hope you will have help dealing with his estate, because that on top of mourning sounds monumental. So sorry!