Sunday, June 05, 2022

Unwelcome Developments

 Well. Life crawls along, for me at least.  I had forgotten, believe it or not, that my brother had a daughter, albeit an estranged, adopted one.  They haven't seen one another in over twenty years.  She graduated from high school and, unbeknownst to my brother, left home the next day.  She has never contacted him.  Somehow, he knew where she lived, though, so the police were able to track her down.  She is, therefore his sole heir.  When she was contacted she refused to deal with the situation, shocked as she was, right away.  So things are in limbo at this point.

How complicated things can become.  My brother had a lot of money and a valuable estate.  She is the sole heir.  I was tremendously relieved to think I wouldn't be involved in the disposition of his estate, but if she continues to   refuse it, I may still have to deal with it.  I will be the owner of a big luxurious house in Florida, complete with swimming pool and HUMMER vehicle.  I will have money like I never dreamed of, investments, property,.....he was saving to move back to Maine and had almost a hundred thousand dollars in the bank.

I am happy with my life right now, living in subsidized housing without a penny to my name.  I have always disliked money and what it does to people.  I am hoping against hope that his daughter will take everything.....she deserves it.  She had a terrible childhood and left home the morning after she graduated from high school, never to contact anybody in the family again.

Well, right now I feel very anxious.  When I found out that they had located his daughter I was relieved at first, thinking I could continue my life as it is.  But when she refused to claim her inheritance.............well, I may be able to refuse it, too.

In a way it must strike the officials dealing with this case that Amer and I, his only family at this point, do not want his money or any of his considerable estate.

What will happen?

2 comments:

P. J. Grath said...

Wouldn't you rather leave it to have some say about where the $$ should go, even if you don't want it? Otherwise, doesn't it just go to the state of Maine? I wonder what the daughter's living situation is -- but it sounds as if you don't know that, either. Please forgive me for thinking that this has the makings of the first chapter of a helluva novel. I just had lunch with some writer friends and can't help my mind going there....

What curious twists and turns life takes, doesn't it?!

P. J. Grath said...

Sorry that first sentence up there got muddled. I started to say "leave it" and then changed to "have some say" but didn't delete earlier phrase. Hope you could figure out what I was trying to say.