Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Next Effort

Today's effort in my pursuit of watercolor excellence.......I did this from an old painting of my backyard.  It's not a good subject for trying to loosen up, but I did accomplish a couple of things.  I maintained transparency for the most part.  And I managed not to overwork a good part of it.The picture looks better than the painting in that respect, but I am pleased.  Even though I didn't do this from life, the original painting I worked from was done that way.  So I got the perspective one gets from standing in front of something.  Cameras put the viewer at a distance........I used to tell my students that it was a "helicopter" view.  They still had to learn to look down at their feet in composing a painting...........at least composing the way I was trying to teach them.  It was so natural for them to look out across the landscape, ignoring what was directly in front of them.  I used to tell them to look down at their feet for a good foreground and then up at the sky to make sure it isn't shaped like a rectangle.  Then find something in between to paint.  There were many things I liked about teaching, and tearing down everything the students thought made a good painting was one of them.  It was fun to be shocking.  Once they were used to everything I had to say and developed minds of their own I needed new blood.  They didn't need me anymore.

2 comments:

P. J. Grath said...

What a great lesson! You could write a book on this, and the title could be, "First, Look Down at Your Feet." Steps 2 and 3 are great, also, but it would make too long a title to put them all out at once, and anyway, you want to leave discovery for inside the covers. This is a word person, not a picture person, thinking here....

Cheri Walton said...

I love the title.......now I just need to write the book.